Highlights ERCOT BOE 031913
Highlights of ERCOT Board Meeting on 3/19/13
Author: Margarita Fournier
POINTS OF INTEREST
- The Board approved on consent the following Nodal Protocol Revision Requests (NPRRs), System Change Requests (SCRs), Nodal Operating Guide Revision Requests (NOGRRs), and Planning Guide Revision Requests (PGRRs):
NPRR474 (Clarification of Price Correction Principles and Associated Timelines)
NPRR487 (Quick Start Generation Resource (QSGR) Dispatch Adjustment)
NPRR489 (Planning Reserve Margin)
NPRR492 (Addition of System Lambda Information)
NPRR493 (Half-Hour Reliability Unit Commitment (RUC) Claw-back)
NPRR496 (Revise West Hub Definition Due to Permanent Topology Change)
NPRR498 (Cleanup of ERCOT Finance and Audit Committee Responsibilities in Operational Audits)
NPRR499 (Revisions to Digital Certificate Holder Qualification Requirements)
NPRR502 (Addition of Year 6 to the Steady State Working Group (SSWG) Base Cases)
NPRR504 (Removal of Language Related to Load Profiling Guide Revision Request (LPGRR) 049)
NPRR509 (Shortened Real-Time Market (RTM) Settlement Timeline)
NPRR518 (Removal of Notification Requirement for Disclosures of Protected Information Required by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC))
NPRR520 (Real-Time Mitigation Rules and Creation of a Real-Time Constraint Competitiveness Test)
NPRR521 (Transitional Congestion Revenue Right (CRR) Auction Capacity Value for Initial CRR Long-Term Auction Sequence)
SCR773 (Addition of Regulation Feedback to Generation to Be Dispatched Calculation)
Impact Analysis for SCR756 (Enhancements to the MarkeTrak Application)
NOGRR101 (Market Notice for DC Tie Outage Information)
NOGRR105 (Generation Resource Frequency Response Test Procedure)
PGRR022 (Removal of Planning Reserve Margin Calculation Methodology)
PGRR023 (Contingency Filing Requirements)
PGRR024 (Clarify Planning Assumptions and Performance Criteria)
PGRR026 (Addition of Year 6 to the SSWG Base Cases)
- Among other items, the ERCOT CEO reported that: (a) ERCOT expects a small favorable balance at year end; (b) ERCOT will likely need to call for some energy conservation in the summer months; (c) a new wind record was set on 2/9/13, of 9,481MW, supplying 27.82% of load.
- The Board heard the first presentation from the newly hired ERCOT meteorologist. He identified drought as the main concern, noting that Texas was recently downgraded to “extreme drought” and that these drought conditions will likely continue for another two-to-three years.
- The Independent Market Monitor (IMM) reported that, as compared with 2011, energy prices dropped 47% in 2012, and natural-gas prices were 31% lower. Because of congestion, however, prices in the West Zone were higher than elsewhere in 2012.
- After expressing concerns about the high implementation costs, the Board approved NPRR484 (Revisions to Congestion Revenue Rights (CRR) Credit Calculations and Payments).
- The Board approved a pilot project for ERS (Emergency Response Service) Weather-Sensitive Load. It will be in effect from June to September, 2013.
- The Board approved 2013 Ancillary Services Methodology, which remains unchanged from 2012. ERCOT staff will continue to work on possible revisions for the fall of 2013.
- The Board approved two new transmission projects: AEPSC Sinton-Beeville-Kenedy Area Improvements and Kenedy Switch-Nixon-Seguin Line Upgrade.
- The Board approved the Finance and Audit Committee Charter.
Copyright 2013 by Competitive Assets, LLC. All rights reserved.